Please enlighten my ignorance 8-)

Zebitty zebitty at australis.aunz.com
Thu Jan 11 02:18:10 EST 2001

CEREOID at prodigy.net (Cereoid) wrote in
<93hnb0$6vnm$1 at newssvr05-en0.news.prodigy.com>:

>Whenever one tries to compare the classification of plants with that of
>animals, they will always get themselves into trouble. They are
>completely different systems that follow completely different rules.

Ahh, well.....that in itself explains alot of my difficulties. But if it
doesn't follow a diverging "tree" as in the animal kingdom, what does it
follow?

>Plant classification is based primarily on the structure of flowers and
>flower parts but differences in vegetative parts often play a role in
>distinguishing closely allied species.

So are they truly related gentically or only structurally? (I realize that
this is not necessarily mutually exclusive). Does anyone do plant genetic
studies purely for the purposes of taxonomy? If so has it had much effect
on the nomenclature? Something else I have noticed is that plant names seem
to be changed alot.....is this due to new information or reviewing old
information with new techniques (such as genetic analysis)

Thanks again