gnats - house plants

Jeremy Harbinson "Jeremy Harbinson" at users.tbpt.wau.nl
Mon Jan 22 08:58:18 EST 2001

Probably an infestation of sciarid flies aka fungus flies; you can get rid of
them using an insecticidal drench, but their prescence normally indicates other
problems, typically that the plant is being over-watered. So, check the soil,
and if it is wet (rather than just moist0 cut back on the watering. It may also
be a good idea to lift the plant out of its pot to check the root and soil
condition; if you find any soggy, saturated soil or dead roots you should remove
them and replace the soil. Doing this is not normally a good idea with old,
established palms as they do not, in general, like disturbance, though I don't
how about Caryota specifically, but it is worth checking for poor soil condition
and root death as this they are both problems for the plant.
all the best,
Jeremy Harbinson