Photo ID

David Kirschtel kirschte at msu.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:42:34 EST 2001

Clive Shirley wrote:

> Does any one have any idea what this is
>
> Found on vertical wet rock adjacent to a waterfall in a lowland mixed forest in
> New Zealand. ...

My firdt guess would be _Nostoc_ (cyanobacteria / blue-green algae).
When I've seen Nostoc balls they're usually bright turquoise, but
checked a key and a number of species (at least here in NA) will form
olive-green or brown colonies.

Next best guess would be _Chaetophora_ (Chlorophyta / green algae) but
these should be really bright green.

Do you have access to a microscope?
  David Kirschtel, Ph.D. * kirschte at pilot.msu.edu * 517.432.0898
    112 N Kedzie Lab * Mich State Univ * E Lansing, MI * 48824