Does anyone know the name of this specimen?

mel turner mturner at
Wed Jul 4 11:49:34 EST 2001

In article <3B3F4E19.99ACDCC3 at>, mandel at [Mandel] wrote...

>This a strange plant.
>-It has a bulb that can become 30-35 cm in diameter
>-The bulb grows above (on) grondlevel
>-It created one thin bright-green stem, which branches off into thinner
>upright stems, branching again...3-4
>  levels.
>-This stem can get very long; longer than 1 meter
>-This stem is replaced ones or twice per year
>-It has no other leafs or leaflike structures
>-It has no (known) flowers
>Does anyone know the name of this specimen?
>Here is the URL of an image:

It's _Bowiea volubilis_.

It's African. As I recall, the bulbs are supposedly very

It's an interesting succulent plant in which the flowering
scapes of its onionlike ancestors have become twining green
vines and the basal foliage of the plant is suppressed [other
than the bladeless bulb scales]