croton question

Jeremy Harbinson "Jeremy Harbinson" at users.tbpt.wau.nl
Fri Jul 13 12:51:26 EST 2001

Hard to say what the problem is, but strong sunlight would be overdoing it. Not
many plants in indoor cultivation can withstand prolonged direct sunlight during
the summer months  without suffering injury (obviously there are exceptions),
even though the same plants might grow quite happily in the open in the tropics.
I do not know exactly what the causes this difference, but I would guess it one
of temeperature control owing to insufficient air movement and limited water
supply for indoor plants. Anyway, I grow codiaeums in bright light, but without
direct sunlight, and they grow just fine, with fine colouring. In my case,
bright light is produced by growing them in a south facing window with an
overhanging balcony that blocks direct sunlight during the summer months; you
could probably achieve the same end by lightly shading the plant with net
curtains, venetian blinds etc. It could alos be that the plants are overwatered,
underwatered, too cold (when the sun is not shining) or have pests (eg spider
mites).
all the best,
Jeremy Harbinson