C3-plant and C4-plant

Moll McCarty mollymc at wi.rr.com
Fri Jul 27 17:35:19 EST 2001

The CO2 available for photosynthesis outside of a sealed environment, in
most situations where any plant grows, is unlimited. The CO2 available in
this sealed environment is limited to start with. And lessens the more that
photosynthesis occurs. It is THE limiting factor towards growth in this
situation.  Apply that thought to the specifics of C3 & C4 metabolism.
I'm trying to, but it's getting a bit muddled after this.
The extra heat of a sealed environment may play into this, too. Higher the
heat, the faster the chemical reactions. C3s are slow but sure, C4s are
faster in heat, hence, our weeds come up first, then the flowers.
Extra heat will also open the breathing pores of the leaves. These stomata
are busy respirating, giving off O2, and NOT gathering in CO2. No CO2, no
photosynthesis because no carbon.
Yours in progress,
Moll

news:9jsf3d$l73$06$1 at news.t-online.com...