Microwaving seeds to induce genetic mutation

Jeremy Harbinson "Jeremy Harbinson" at users.tbpt.wau.nl
Fri Jun 1 08:32:01 EST 2001

So far as I know colchicine is used to double the chromosome number (ie make
a polypoid); it interferes with microtubule formation, and these sub-cellular
structures are required to separate chromosomes during mitosis and meisosis -
if the chromosomes can't separate you end up with twice the number in the
daughter cells. It is a nasty chemical; see
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/2259/colchicine.htm
for some info.
all the best,
Jeremy  Harbinson