Red stem

Night23 night23 at nightynight.com
Fri Jun 1 16:26:33 EST 2001

Hi,
   I am growing a jar of Nusturtium plants from seeds.  Among the 10 or
so plants in the jar which have recently germinated, I observed that one
of them has a red stem (the rest are green).  The entire stem is a light
red color including branches leading up to the leaves.  The leaf
venation is slightly reddish as well as well as a thin region of red
around the rim of each leaf.

Is this a mutant plant?

Are there any physical (nutrient deficiency) factors that could cause a
plant to have a red stem?  The plants are closely spaced growing in the
same jar and recieve the same amount of lighting everyday and the same
amount of water (I haven't been adding red dye in or anything). Soil
conditions are the same obviously since they are in the same jar.