Strelitzia reginae question

Christopher Richards Christopherr at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 11 13:54:51 EST 2001

I wonder if any body can give me some growing advice for Bird of Paradise
plants (S.reginae). I saw one in a local nursery and thought about buying it
but wanted some more info before I do, especially as their not cheap in my
opinion, (£37.50 for two crowns - if that's the right term - in a 20" pot).
I know the can be grown indoors but how about outside in the garden, either
permanently planted or in a pot.
I live on the south coast of England with a small garden, approx 15' sq ,
which is east facing a small 4' wall surrounds the garden on the north and
south sides and a 8' wooden fence is on the east with a conservatory on the
north.
Any growing help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows anywhere
that might sell them cheaper :0)
TIA,
ChrisR.