Strelitzia reginae question

mazoey at attglobal.net mazoey at attglobal.net
Mon Jun 25 10:17:26 EST 2001

I grew S. reginae and also S. nicolai inside near Boston, Massachusetts(snowy
winters).  Although the plants grew well, they never flowered.  In that part of
the US they only seemed to flower if they were in a greenhouse.

When I was living in Phoenix, Arizona(hot sunny desert), they grew and flowered
well while planted outside in the garden. The leaves didn't look their best when
the temperature stayed above 110F too long.

I am now between Los Angeles and San Diego(sunny and mild year round).  They do
so well here they are planted along roadways.  They are tropical plants that
need alot of sun and heat.  I don't know what the weather is like where you are,
I'm guessing it is more like Massachusetts than Southern California.  If that's
true, keep them inside in winter - they won't survive the snow.

They are cheaper here and probably are cheaper anywhere they grow well outside.
Maybe you could find a mail order company that can ship to England - try a
Mediterranean country that has palm trees.

Best of luck, Sue