help with fishtail palm

Jack Vanderwerf vdfsamba at webtv.net
Sat Mar 3 15:20:23 EST 2001

I've got a 5 foot tail fishtail palm, I've had it about a year. It is
placed next to a window with southern exposure but not a klot of direct
light.

Problem :
the leaves are a washed out pale green....
The leaves ends are rusty yellow- oxide brown, as far as 1" into the
body of the leaf........
The stems in places are not green, but woody grayish brown..............
The leaves are also in spots are speckled in almost a bleach spattered
pattern of butterscotch yellow..............
It is in a 14" pot, a fine peat mixture, never soaked with water, but
generally, it gets a healthy drink (every5 days or so) ,and then allowed
to dry out.......
It is furtalized either monthly, or bi-monthly....
And it has endured TWO major infestations of spidermites (not knowing it
was susceptable, failed to watch closely)......

The infestation has probably stunted it's growth.

1) ? Pale leaves due to a lack of iron or from the mites ?
2) ? The spots and woody patches due to fungus, or the mites ?
3) ? Rusty leaf ends due to too much water, not enough water, acidity,
lack of acidity, fungus, mites, ?
4) ? Should it have a different potting mixture ?
5)  It appears that new growth that has been in limbow for much of this
pastyear may actually be starting to grow again.....

Any assistance would be great, and you may also email me direct, Thanks

http://community.webtv.net/vdfsamba/Jackspage