Source for Endangered Species Seeds

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Mar 21 12:18:12 EST 2001

In article <3AB6178A.75AEB331 at interbulletin.com>,
T.C. Mann  <donotreply at interbulletin.bogus> wrote:
>Can anyone provide a source for any nurseries that specialize in
> endangered species seeds? For those who may not know, nurseries are
> allowed to sell endangered species seeds as long as they have been
> raised by the nursery and not wild harvested and have been issued a
> permit to do so.

What kinds of plants are you looking for?  What do you mean by
"endangered"?  CITES-listed?  Endangered in your local jurisdiction?
Here in Ontario, for example, we have many plants that are listed as
at risk, but are common further south.

If you are looking for local native plants, contact wildflower or native
plant societies that may have members in your area.  For plants from
further away, try rock garden societies - these people often are interested
in non-alpine woodland, prairie or other temperate to cold climate plants.
For orchids, contact orchid societies, etc.  Most of these organizations
can provide seeds saved by their members or direct you to relevant sources.