Microwaving seeds to induce genetic mutation

Night23 night23 at nightynight.com
Tue May 29 21:06:05 EST 2001

Jeremy,
       is there ANY way at all I can cause a random mutation in the
genetic makeup of a seed using equipment/chemicals at home?  I don't
want to go the natural selection route selecting for this and that trait
waiting for something interesting to show up.  It just takes too many
generations.  I want to mutate a bunch of seeds right off the bat, plant
them, see what germinates and if its interesting perpetuate that line.

Of course I know most will either not germinate or be 'sickly' but out
of a couple of hundred seeds and a few tries, I'm willing to bet there
will be some interesting mutation in there.

Someone mentioned caffein could temporarily unwind DNA.  If so, will I
be able to mutate a bunch of seeds if I soak them in warm black
caffeniated coffee for 24 hrs?

Please let me know.

Thanks.