newsgroup for cacti?

Tumbleweed fromnews at spamtumbleweed.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 20:44:46 EST 2001

I for one am not keen on mailing lists. I've tried them from time to time
but end up leaving them for the reasons following;
With a newsgroup you can go have a look when you feel like it, and look back
at old posts on google, but ignore if you want to.
With email lists, you sometimes get inconvenient numbers of emails, which
either clog up your inbox, or need to be filtered off, and no threading, so
it can be difficult/impossible to follow discussions, plus you cant really
archive them in an accessible way.
Newsgroups OTOH are there to be looked at when you feel like it and dont
otherwise bother you. You also dont get bothered by a flurry of emails in
some flame war which are easy to ignore when they are in a single thread in
a newsgroup.

For those who like the email lists, can't you just continue with them and cc
to newgroups (or other way round)? After all, a newsgroup you dont subscribe
to isnt going to cause you a problem is it? And 1 more out of 50,000 plus
isnt really an issue either. Finally, I suspect its going to be easier to
find a newsgroup than an email list, I wasnt aware of the agilent one until
a couple of days ago. A newsgroup would bring everyone together into one
place, instead of several different web forums or email lists.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove 'spam' from email replies (but no email reply necessary to
newsgroups)

news:guFF7.983$Ql5.150006888 at newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...