newsgroup for cacti?

Tumbleweed fromnews at spamtumbleweed.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 09:20:12 EST 2001

"Cereoid*" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:kGRF7.12748$ah3.1614052459 at newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> If the proposed newsgroup attracts persons who's only purpose is to
> pontificate and are not genuine Cactophiles nor have any interest in
> succulent plants, I am against it.

I dont recall that being in the charter. <VBG>

> The reason I prefer cross posting the topic is because Bruno (Psycho
Cactus)
> cross posted his original proposal and I find it to be in bad taste that
he
> insists on continuing the discussion in relative secrecy in a forum that
> does not include those who actually grow the plants.

So, if a message was posted to the mailing list advertsing it, would all
your objections dissappear?

> If this proposed
> newsgroup is supposed to be for plant enthusiasts, they particularly
should
> be allowed to be an active part of the discussion or at least be made
aware
> of it. If not, then its nothing more than an ego trip for Bruno (Psycho
> Cactus) and not in the best interest of plant enthusiasts after all. Bruno
> (Psycho Cactus) admitted in his original proposal that there are already
too
> many forums and groups on the topic. Another one is not needed and would
> serve no useful purpose. It will not attract those who are active members
of
> Cacti_etc.

Well, no harm done, they can continue with their mailing list. I dont see
the problem. And if there are many different mailing groups, getting one
more wont hurt will it? And a centralised point for all seems like a good
thing to me.

> As I have said many times there is already a well established forum for
the
> discussion of Cactus & succulents named Cacti_etc. There is no point in
> creating a newsgroup that is not needed. If the reason Bruno (Psycho
Cactus)
> wanted to create a newsgroup was because he was unaware it existed, he no
> longer has that excuse. Bruno (Psycho Cactus) is not an active participant
> in the other existing succulent plant forums and groups either. The same
> especially applies to Brian, who has absolutely no genuine interest in the
> topic.

Its nice of you to be able to read his mind! You say its not needed, but why
not let the majority vote by use? If people dont want it, it will fade away.
You could also advertise the existence of the mailing list within the
newsgroup, potentially increasing its readership. I wasnt aware of the email
group until this thread on urg popped up.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove 'spam' from email replies (but no email reply necessary to
newsgroups)