newsgroup for cacti?

Brian Watson brian at spheroid.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 13:31:09 EST 2001

"Martin Brown" <martin.brown at pandora.be> wrote in message
news:3BE793F6.BE49BFA9 at pandora.be...

> It's widely known by people interested in growing cacti and succulents and
many
> of the online resources for these plants point to it. I probably would not
> oppose creating a rec.gardens.cacti but I doubt it will be much frequented
by
> experts given the pre existence of an established high quality listserver
in
> "cacti_etc".

Even if you're right, I don't see the fact that it might appeal to a
different sector of growers and enthusiasts as being a valid objection.

> Usenet groups are these days are all too frequently being attacked by Java
traps
> and other hostile binaries exploiting loopholes in MS "security". (many
> listservers are set to strip all binary attachments)

Well, I've never been on the receiving end of one in *years* of using MS
products.

> Proposing a new Usenet group without first canvassing for support from the
> members of the main listserver devoted to the topic does not strike me as
> particularly smart opening gambit.

It *was* posted to the appropriate place to solicit discussion. Anywhere
else is an optional plus.

--
Brian