newsgroup for cacti?

Brian Logan ults at bigfoot.com
Wed Nov 7 00:22:13 EST 2001

"Cereoid*" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote:

>If the proposed newsgroup attracts persons who's only purpose is to
>pontificate and are not genuine Cactophiles nor have any interest in
>succulent plants, I am against it.

If it is set you can simply not subscribe to it.

>It will not attract those who are active members of
>Cacti_etc.

No problem then. It may attract members who read usenet instead.

>As I have said many times there is already a well established forum for the
>discussion of Cactus & succulents named Cacti_etc.

Where will you be when yahoo's server goes down, or they pull the plug
on some of the groups?

>Bruno (Psycho Cactus) is not an active participant
>in the other existing succulent plant forums and groups either. The same
>especially applies to Brian, who has absolutely no genuine interest in the
>topic.

Maybe he's more interested in arguing the issue of a usenet group than
attempting to sidestep the issue.

>Cacti_etc is an easily accessible mailing list and includes caudiciforms
>(fat plants) in the discussion. If you are a genuine Cactophile, you should
>be a subscriber. Its the best way to be up-to-date in what's going on in the
>world of succulent plants and its absolutely free.

Another advantage of usenet is privacy, and the lack of a moderator
(in unmoderated groups). On a mailing list, if the moderator doesn't
like you you can forget about being there.

b.