newsgroup for cacti?

Martin Brown martin.brown at pandora.be
Wed Nov 7 03:52:17 EST 2001

Brian Watson wrote:

> "Martin Brown" <martin.brown at pandora.be> wrote in message
> news:3BE793F6.BE49BFA9 at pandora.be...
>
> > It's widely known by people interested in growing cacti and succulents and
> many
> > of the online resources for these plants point to it. I probably would not
> > oppose creating a rec.gardens.cacti but I doubt it will be much frequented
> by
> > experts given the pre existence of an established high quality listserver in
>
> > "cacti_etc".
>
> Even if you're right, I don't see the fact that it might appeal to a
> different sector of growers and enthusiasts as being a valid objection.

I didn't say it was, but to stand a decent chance of the newsgroup being brought
into existence he has to bring the RFD to the attention of sufficient interested
people to vote for it.

Failure to even mention cacti_etc shows that his proposal was woefully ill
researched.

> > Proposing a new Usenet group without first canvassing for support from the
> > members of the main listserver devoted to the topic does not strike me as a
> > particularly smart opening gambit.
>
> It *was* posted to the appropriate place to solicit discussion. Anywhere
> else is an optional plus.

Yes. But if he wants to get cactophiles out to vote in favour of it...

Regards,
Martin Brown