newsgroup for cacti?

Brian Watson brian at spheroid.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 03:48:46 EST 2001

"Cereoid*" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:HS0G7.640$S61.105125961 at newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
> If all you're really doing is making an already existing newsgroup more
> widely available, then go for it. In no way would it be competition or a
> threat to Cacti_etc either in content or membership.

You really don't get it, do you?

This is not about competition, it is about diversity of availibilty by
choice of media.

> Cacti_etc already
> serves as the official source for information

Official? In what way "official"?

Who is the Moderator? A official representative of an international
cactus/succulent cultivation society?

> on cactus & succulents for the
> various societies and that would not change. Those who use the newsgroup
> exclusively will be the ones losing out.

That is a very subjective POV. If you had a clearer understanding of the
situation you would realise that the formats are different, that's all.

> If you are trying to create yet another newsgroup, I still feel it is
> completely unnecessary. The Internet is already over flowing with forums
and
> groups on the topic.

So please explain to me, as you seem to have a different view on the world
to most people, what is the substantial difference between starting a new
newsgroup and seeking to obtain wider access to an existing one?

You now seem to be recognising the value of promoting wider access to an
existing newsgroup but be vehemently against it if it is new.

In that to the majority of potential users it would be new, to all intents
and purposes, I fail to see a material difference as it affects/does not
affect your preferred forum of discussion.

To give an analogy, would you say that because a newspaper press exists
there need be no radio, or television, or Internet (in all its various
access formats)?
--
Brian