small bugs in houseplant soil

Webbtron webbtron at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 25 20:24:46 EST 2001

"Monique Reed" <monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu> wrote in message
news:3BFBF053.90FCC864 at mail.bio.tamu.edu...
> Yep, they do (I think), and there are some tiny, tiny detritus-feeding
> beetles that are quite pale also.
>
> Monique
>
> > Do springtails come in white? The only ones I've  seen are sort of
> > blue/black ?
> >
> > Dennis
Almost every late fall/winter, I have a tiny almost invisible flying nat
come in and when they have a fresh hatch in the soil they look white until
they mature.  I think originally, I got them from some soil I bought.  I use
a mild red mite spray just on the soil and go back in a week till I cover a
few hatches.  A few of them won't bother anyone but one year they got to the
point of the ridiculous.   Funny thing is they seem too stay in the soil
where they originated, I have just under 50 house plants and I'm grateful
for that.  I call them fruit flies, but I doubt that is what they are.  I
have seen them outside also.
craig