A request for some weeds

Darren Obbard darren.obbard at plants.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 7 15:38:34 EST 2001

</lurk>

I am working on the population structure of the European weed, Mercurialis
annua L. (euphorbiaceae). Part of this work involves doing a preliminary
study into the genetic variation of the species across its range. Initially
I don't need very large samples or dense sampling (though the larger and the
denser the better!)

M. annua grows in disturbed habitats, including waste ground, road verges
and farmland. It is common all around the Mediterranean basin and across
northern Europe (France, UK, Ireland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain,
Greece, Israel, Morocco,Tunisia, to name a few). Across the range it has
variable ploidy and mating system.

For this initial survey I need seed from populations (named locations or
long and lat) anywhere in Europe and North Africa. All I need are a few
seeds (ca.100 to 200) from about 20 to 30 plants at each site. They are
easily collected by harvesting whole plants and allowing them to dry in
perforated plastic pollination bags.

I already have a number of samples and promises of more. However, if you
feel you may be able to send me some seed (either if you're based in Europe,
or travelling to any of the above areas) I would be very grateful.

If you think you may be able to help, please email me and I can provide you
with collecting bags, further information, and pay postage costs. (and if
you are unsure what the plant looks like I can send some photos!)

Best Wishes

Darren Obbard

--
(I am a DPhil student working with Dr John Pannell and Dr Stephen Harris at
the University of Oxford)

Darren Obbard
Department of Plant Sciences,
University Science Area