Palm House Plant Leaves Browning.. HELP!

Heather heatherineverett at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 12:21:29 EST 2001

I looked online and it maybe an 'Areca'.. it certainly looks like this
one (yes this is a pic of a silk one but close enough)

http://www.silkgreenery.com/images/areca.jpg

The funny thing is, I HAVE TWO HUGE FISH TANKS! One is right around
the corner from the plant too.  What I mean by this is the humitity it
definitely NOT a problem in there!  I live in a two bedroom apartment
in New England (USA) so if one room is humid, they all are.

According to everyone's (much appreciated) information , it seems like
I just might be over-fertilizing.  My other house plants get
fertilized at the same time though, including a much smaller type of
palm, and they don't seem to mind though so I'm still slightly
confused.  If anybody knows of some 'care sheets' or something for
this type of palm that would be helpful, otherwise just the rundown
here.  What type of light/watering/feeding they like.

One more thing:

What do I do now?  I mean all the leaves (except the aforementioned
new green ones on top) are either 30 - 50 % covered in brown from the
tip down.  Should I cut them off?  Should I leave them?  Should I put
it out on my balcony for some sun?  (although it's starting to cool..
roughly 74F tops now a days)  Should I give it a 'drought' for like 3
weeks?

Thanks again everybody...

Heather

PS Email answers to heatherinnh at aol.com would be even more appreciated