Palm House Plant Leaves Browning.. HELP!

Toni Toni at irish-wolfhoundsSPAM.com
Fri Sep 7 14:29:35 EST 2001

"Heather" <heatherineverett at aol.com> wrote in message
news:998d45ce.0109070930.44f5d10b at posting.google.com...
> I can say this much:  When I bought it, it was in an semi-outdoor
> greenhouse.  The thing is, Almost 70% of the leaves were yellowing,
> but not much brown on the tips really.  I figured this was due to so
> much direct (semi direct) sunlight from the greenhouse.  It was mostly
> a flower/shrub greenhouse and they didn't seem to care much about this
> poor little palm.

What is commonly sold in the tarde as Arecas are not dark green... there is
plenty of yellow on lots of them. You often see them listed in older
publications as Golden Cane Palms.
"Arecas" are really Chrysalidocarpus lutescens..... "lutescens" even means
"becoming yellow".

*If it were me* I would take it outside, lay it down, and hose the leaves
underneath really well, then stand it in shade to dry. This will do alot
towards geting rid of any possible spider mites, and will make it feel
better in general.
I would do this every week or so as long as weather permitted.

<Broward County (FL) Palm and Cycad Society listed them in 1996 (the last
year we had below freezing temps) as not damaged at 32º F, and moderately
damaged at 26º >

--
Toni Carroll
Sunny South Florida