Palm House Plant Leaves Browning.. HELP!

livesoil soil at dirtboat.com
Fri Sep 7 15:26:34 EST 2001

Palms translocate nutirents....I suggest leaving the older fronds and
just remove the unsightly brown portions. Areca palms do just fine
here in 10-18% humidity. I dry them out between waterings and in low
light conditions very very little fertilization.

On 7 Sep 2001 10:21:29 -0700, heatherineverett at aol.com (Heather)
wrote:

>I looked online and it maybe an 'Areca'.. it certainly looks like this
>one (yes this is a pic of a silk one but close enough)
>
>http://www.silkgreenery.com/images/areca.jpg
>
>The funny thing is, I HAVE TWO HUGE FISH TANKS! One is right around
>the corner from the plant too.  What I mean by this is the humitity it
>definitely NOT a problem in there!  I live in a two bedroom apartment
>in New England (USA) so if one room is humid, they all are.
>
>According to everyone's (much appreciated) information , it seems like
>I just might be over-fertilizing.  My other house plants get
>fertilized at the same time though, including a much smaller type of
>palm, and they don't seem to mind though so I'm still slightly
>confused.  If anybody knows of some 'care sheets' or something for
>this type of palm that would be helpful, otherwise just the rundown
>here.  What type of light/watering/feeding they like.
>
>One more thing:
>
>What do I do now?  I mean all the leaves (except the aforementioned
>new green ones on top) are either 30 - 50 % covered in brown from the
>tip down.  Should I cut them off?  Should I leave them?  Should I put
>it out on my balcony for some sun?  (although it's starting to cool..
>roughly 74F tops now a days)  Should I give it a 'drought' for like 3
>weeks?
>
>Thanks again everybody...
>
>Heather
>
>PS Email answers to heatherinnh at aol.com would be even more appreciated
>!
>

>"Toni" <Toni at irish-wolfhoundsSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<x8Ul7.1292$5r.96087 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
>> "livesoil" <soil at dirtboat.com> wrote in message
>> news:09vfptsrgic7ocn0si0jmh7dbqr0jp2umb at 4ax.com...
>> >  NO many palms are not doing well in florida simply because they don't
>> > ALL like humidity!!!!
>> >
>> > Better to ID the species and culture accordingly...
>>

>> Take it easy....
>> While it would be nice to have an ID, it is not likely in this case. I'd bet
>> it is a Chamaedorea or an Areca, and the likelihood of humidity being needed
>> in an indoor potted palm is about 99.9%.
>>
>> Of the 42 species palms I currently have on my property, all are thriving in
>> high humidity.
>> I'm betting hers will too.

"The task of spiritual science is to observe the macrocosm,
the broadest dimensions of the workings of nature,
and to understand these workings."

—Rudolf Steiner