Palm House Plant Leaves Browning.. HELP!

Zhanataya billnzhan at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 22:05:01 EST 2001

On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:53:52 -0700, livesoil <soil at dirtboat.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 20:43:51 GMT, Zhanataya <billnzhan at earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>>Never plant a palm deeper than it came. I actually check to see if the
>>>last planting may have been to  deep....
>>>>

>>Now a blanket statement like that can get a new gardener into trouble.
>
>How can my statement lead to more problems?

Because your statement was based on the assumption the soil level
was/is where it is supposed to be.  That isn't always the case.  99%
of the time you're right.  Usually the growers have them too deep in
the mix/soil and I use my fingers to knock off the shoulder of soil
and the excess around the roots.  But there have been occasions where
the plants have been handled badly and a good bit of the soil is
missing.

A case in point (far fetched as it may be :-0) )  A Mass. cane gets
very top heavy the only way to keep the da*n things upright is more
soil.

Zhan