Heavy water and plants

Tom McCloud mccloud-tom at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 25 20:57:00 EST 2001

	"The Effects of Heavy Water on Higher Plants: A Review",
authored by Martin I. Blake et.al.    Lloydia (Journal of Natural
Products) vol.40, pp127-135 1977.   This publication contains a
bibliography you might find useful.
	Quoting from this paper:  "High deuterium levels produced a
marked reduction in plant size (of Nicotiana tabacum)  and flowering
as well as extensive tissue necrosis ..........The concentration range
60-70% D2O is critical in terms of rapid, and at the upper end of the
concentration range, complete disorganization and disruption of
physiological function" .
	To gain some understanding of why organisms do not thrive in
deuterated water you need to study the effect that the presence of
deuterium  in place of hydrogen in H2O has in enzyme reaction
mechanisms.   An article that delves into this phenomenon is "Solvent
Isotope Effects on Enzymic Reactions",  authored by R.I. Schowen,
published in the Proceedings of the Harry Steenbock Symposium, 6th
meeting, 1976,    University Park Press, Baltimore,  Maryland, USA.
(1977).
	Tom McCloud