Ficus Benjimana - Dropping Leaves

Penny Morgan PMORGAN2 at
Fri Sep 28 18:50:41 EST 2001

You can water the plant until it runs out the bottom.  I'm assuming you have
a saucer that catches the water.  If it's a large container (usually is with
ficus), put in 2-3 quarts, but again, even if you poured a gallon of water,
it should all drain out the bottom.  Don't let the water sit in the saucer.
Slide a larger clear saucer under the plant when watering and let it fill
up.  Wait about 15 minutes, then dump all the water out of the saucer.  In
other words, don't let the roots sit in water or it gets too much water.  If
you check the soil with a small bamboo stick or popsicle stick and it comes
out dry or clean, then water.  If it comes out with crumbs, then the soil is
moist enough; wait another 3 days and check again.  You may end up only
watering every 10-12 days instead.  Good Luck.

Zone 7 - North Carolina
news:tr6ij97nmv021f at