Eremocrinum: Where does it belong in Asparagales?

Cereoid* cereoid at prodigy.net
Thu Apr 18 19:59:24 EST 2002

Since Chase et al. (1996) didn't study the genus, they would just be
guessing about its position. In the paper, they were primarly interested in
Australian genera not the North American ones. Their circumscription of
Lomandraceae is completely heterogenous on the basis of flower, fruit and
seed chracters. The genera they include there fall into five very different
groups (=families?).

Why should Eremocrinum be removed from the Anthericaceae? Actually the genus
is close to Chlorophytum not Chlorogalum. Likewise, why should Leucocrinum
be included in the Anthericaceae? Leucocrinum is very different from the
genera in the Anthericaceae.

Your list doesn't include Hagenbachia, Diamena, Diora, Hemiphylacus &
Trichopetalum.

Dasylirion, Nolina, Beaucarnea & Calibanus are in the Nolinaceae.

Convallaria, Maianthemum & Polygonatum are in the Convallariaceae not the
Ruscaceae.

Including the bulbous genera Camassia, Chlorogalum, Hastingsia,
Hesperocallis & Schoenolirion in Agavaceae is ridiculous. The should be in a
separate family (Hesperocallidaceae Traub) if not the Hyacinthaceae.

The genera Hesperoyucca, Polianthes and Beschorneria also belongs in the
Agavaceae.

Also your Liliaceae is heterogenous. Only the genera Erythronium,
Fritillaria, Lilium and Lloydia represent the family in North America. The
other genera belong elsewhere.

news:8bae3037.0204181253.399510b0 at posting.google.com...