Getting rid of mealy bugs on a Ficus

Cereoid* cereoid at prodigy.net
Mon Apr 22 14:47:23 EST 2002

Have you used a wet rag? Carefully clean the entire plant with a wet rag
soaked in a dilute soap solution. Physically removing the critters is the
most non-toxic, thorough and cheapest method you can use. You don't need to
make this into something difficult.

Mighty-Mouse <*NoSpam*Mighty-Mouse at gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
news:a9vr4n$6inpe$1 at ID-45631.news.dfncis.de...
> Have an indoor Ficus which is 24 feet tall.  In past have used following
> product in the soil to rid the tree of mealy bugs:  Dexol Tender Leaf
> systemic granules, which has ingredients - Disulfoton 0.0-Diethyl
> s-[2-(ethylthio) ethyl phosphorodithisate 1%, Other ingredients (not
listed)
> 99%.  Product manufactured by Dexol, div. Verdant Brands, Bloomington MN.
> I'd dig into the soil, pour about 2 tablespoon of the granules in, cover
> over w/dirt, and water well.  Product worked like magic to get rid of the
> bugs without spraying anything inside the house, which considering the
size
> of the Ficus is impractical.
> Earlier this year, my local nursery informed me that this product is being
> taken off the market because it was found dangerous to humans.
> Does anyone know of an alternative product/method of getting rid of the
> mealy bugs without wiping down each leaf, or spraying inside the house?
TIA