any species reproduce only asexually?

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Tue Aug 6 10:46:31 EST 2002

There are many genera of grasses in which sexual reproduction occurs
only one generation in many.  The rest of the time, the plants
reproduce via apomixis, in which some cell other than the product of
gametes matures into an embryo.  This is also common in citrus,
hawthorns, and blackberries.  Many aquatic plants reproduce almost
exclusively vegetatively, through fragmentation or budding.  Many
stands of trees or shrubs are all vegetative clones, produced via root
suckers, rhizomes, or stolons.  Many plants seem to be able to take
sex or leave it.

M. Reed