Non-toxic air cleaning houseplants?

Mark Thorson nospam at sonic.net
Sat Aug 24 14:55:54 EST 2002

Jacqueline wrote:

> Can anyone advise us as to which types of house plants we should look
> into?  I know about spider plants, what else?

This article cites a NASA study recommending bamboo palm,
Chinese evergreen, English ivy, Gerbera daisy, and several
dracena species:

http://www.zone10.com/wsdocs/tech/NASA/fyh.htm

The NASA study referred to in that article is contradicted
in this article from the EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/hpguide.html#faq7

It should also be that many plants emit air pollutants, such
as terpenes (citrus, pine, etc.) and ethyl acetate (many types
of fruit).  Flowering plants also generate pollen, which may
trigger reactions in sensitive people.  The moist potting
soil and container may also harbor molds which release
spores that may be a problem for some people.