Non-toxic air cleaning houseplants?

Karen kchuplis at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 24 21:00:13 EST 2002

in article ak9dd4$s1$1 at clam.prodigy.net, David Wright at
wright at clam.prodigy.net wrote on 8/24/02 8:53 PM:

> In article <MPG.17d1c85868a14c179899c5 at news6.bellatlantic.net>,
> Laura A. Robinson  <firstinitiallastname at technologist.com> wrote:
>> circa 24 Aug 2002 12:24:16 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
>> Jacqueline (jacquelinejunk at hotmail.com) said,
>>> 2) Good air cleaners, we'd like to get a variety of plants that clean
>>> a variety of things out, as we don't know what exactly the problem is
>>>
>> I would invest in some actual air filters/purifiers (speaking as
>> somebody who is allergic to anything that bears fruit, flower or
>> fur). Sharper Image has something called the Ionic Breeze; I have two
>> of them and they're phenomenal. Additionally, you could get more
>> traditional air filters; I've used several types of those, as well.
>
> Interesting, because Consumer Reports tested the Ionic Breeze as part
> of their last ratings of air cleaners (Feb 2002) and found it to be
> basically useless.  They said it removed almost no particles from the
> air.
>
> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
> These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
> "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
> were standing on my shoulders."

Y'know, I don't know about the ionizers, but they have said too that the
HEPA purifiers are not doing anything really but I find that hard to believe
as when I changed my carbon filters the other day, you would not BELIEVE the
amount of dust on them that would have been floating in the air. I think
they must do something. Also, Grant, cat with allergies, likes sleeping in
that area of the room, which he didn't before. Anecdotal, yes, but still
gives pause to wonder.

Karen