Non-toxic air cleaning houseplants?

Laura A. Robinson firstinitiallastname at technologist.com
Sat Aug 24 22:00:05 EST 2002

circa 24 Aug 2002 20:43:14 -0500, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Karen (kchuplis at earthlink.net) said,
> One thing I'd sure do is vacuum, vacuum, vacuum the apholstery and mattress.
> That sounds like it is positively BAD for you, not to mention the kitties.
> Vacuuming those surfaces repeatedly should help any excess that is getting
> into the air without destroying the coverage. You could plant a LOT of cat
> grass.

Keep in mind, the efficacy of this approach depends tremendously on
the vacuum. Most vacuums actually make allergies worse because they
just redistribute the allergens again. A (good) vacuum with a HEPA
filter is a good choice, as is a vacuum that uses water in the
collection tank, such as a Rainbow. I don't even know if they're
still made, by the way; my allergist advised my parents to get one
when I was young because of my allergies and they *still* use it to
this day, some thirty years later. Those things are indestructible,
despite my best attempts throughout childhood to render the thing
unusable so I wouldn't have to vacuum. ;-)

Laura
--
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx