Non-toxic air cleaning houseplants?

Tsu Dho Nimh abacaxi at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 25 07:01:05 EST 2002

jacquelinejunk at hotmail.com (Jacqueline) wrote:

>Hi, we just moved into a new condo, and something is wrong with the
>air in here.  My husband and I are both getting congested, with
>itchy/burning eyes and nose.

>We've had the windows open a lot, but as
>they are building a new grocery store across the street from our
>window, its very noisy to have them open during the day, so that
>limits how many hours we can have them open.

  Open them all night, every night, with a fan blowing OUT one of
the windows to suck out the fumes.  Unless of course it's
sub-zero or you are ground floor windows.

>It could be the stain treatment on the new furniture and mattress (I
>can smell chemicals on the new furniture), it could be the new paint,
>it could be something done to the carpets, it could be the residues of
>the cleaning products used by the previous owners, I don't know.  But
>its bothering us a lot, I wake up every morning feeling sick. :(

>We'd like to get some house plants that meet the following criteria:

  Houseplants will not make a difference fast enough, unless you
have a jungle in your living room (and then the mold from the
high humidity will be a problem.

  You need AIR movement.  Lots of air movement.

  Also, have the carpets cleaned by one of the steam extraction
methods, with just PLAIN WATER.  That can get rid of all kinds of
cleaning chemicals.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you criticize him, you are a mile away from him and you have his shoes.