Non-toxic air cleaning houseplants?

Karen kchuplis at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 25 10:37:08 EST 2002

in article 9857c0c8.0208242342.3ec91c44 at posting.google.com, Jacqueline at
jacquelinejunk at hotmail.com wrote on 8/25/02 2:42 AM:

> "Cereoid+1+" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
> news:<mKS99.569$cw3.40274053 at newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
>> It would be far more practical for you to leave the windows and doors open
>> to air out your condo. Don't you have screens for your windows and doors?
>> You will just need to live with the noise for a few days. Its a minor
>> inconvenience compared to poisoning your family and pets with toxic fumes.
>
> Well, another problem with leaving the windows open is our cats like
> to climb screens (pursuing moths or whatever they think is out there)
> and we are really worried, being 5 floors up, that they will knock the
> screens out while attached and plunge to their deaths.  We had a
> friend whose cat did just that, knocked his screen out by climbing it,
> and fell out the window (fortunately the friend lived on the first
> floor).  So we don't think its safe to leave the windows open unless
> we are present and awake and monitoring the cats' behavior, we can
> only open them a few inches otherwise.
>
> I did the leave all the windows wide open for three days straight
> between when the new furniture was delivered (and I first noticed the
> chemical smell) and when we moved in and started sleeping there.  But
> it did not help much.  If three days of the windows being left open
> doesn't help much, I don't think the windows alone can solve the
> problem.
>
> Jacqueline

Don't know what kind of windows you have, but being on the fourth floor I
worried too. What I did was have some wooden trellis cut to fit my windows
at the garden center. Then when the windows are open, I slip them in the
window tracks and use the windows themselves to hold it in place. They would
have to push that and the screen out to fall, which seems highly improbable.
Maybe you could find a similar solution.

Karen