Non-toxic air cleaning houseplants?

Mark Thorson nospam at sonic.net
Sun Aug 25 11:22:09 EST 2002

Karen wrote:

> Y'know, I don't know about the ionizers, but they have said too that the
> HEPA purifiers are not doing anything really but I find that hard to believe
> as when I changed my carbon filters the other day, you would not BELIEVE the
> amount of dust on them that would have been floating in the air. I think
> they must do something. Also, Grant, cat with allergies, likes sleeping in
> that area of the room, which he didn't before. Anecdotal, yes, but still
> gives pause to wonder.

Electrostatic precipitators like the Ionic Breeze only remove dust.
HEPA filters remove dust, and do it quite well, if that's your problem.
Neither electrostatic precipitators nor HEPA filters remove vapors,
such as the solvents outgassing from your furniture, carpets, etc.
Carbon filters will remove vapors, until the carbon becomes
saturated with the chemicals it's removing.