Carnivorous plants questions.

Cereoid+10 cereoid at prodigy.net
Mon Aug 26 17:10:40 EST 2002

Dear Patrick,

You have heard wrong. Genuine carnivorous plants occur in six different
plant families.

Three families have leaves that act as fly paper or active traps.

Droseraceae (Drosera, Drosophyllum, Dionaea, Aldrovanda)
Byblidaceae (Byblis)
Lentibulariaceae (Utricularia, Genlisea, Pinguicula)

Pitcher plants are found in three very different plant families.

Sarraceniaceae (Sarracenia, Darlingtonia, Heliamphora)
Nepenthaceae (Nepenthes)
Cephalotaceae (Cephalotus)

Spiny desert plant are not carnivorous. There are no carnivorous plants
among the monocots. Some bromeliads have a water filled leaf crown but they
are not carnivorous. Many plant have glandular hairy leaves and/or stems
that trap insects and are mistaken for carnivorous plants.

Never heard of the "Madagascar Parrot plant". Is it a common name for a
species of Nepenthes?

See the carnivorous plant home page for more info.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/

news:Wnva9.223$kX5.21887183 at newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...