Carnivorous plants questions.

Patrick D. Rockwell prockwell at thegrid.net
Wed Aug 28 17:43:01 EST 2002

paghatSPAMMERS-DIE at netscape.net (paghat) wrote in message news:<paghatSPAMMERS-DIE-2608021415010001 at soggy72.drizzle.com>...
> In article <Wnva9.223$kX5.21887183 at newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, "Patrick
> D. Rockwell" <hnhc85a at prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> > I know about 5 basic kinds of carnivorous plants. Venus fly traps, Pitcher
> > plants, Sundews, Butterworts, & Bladderworts. Are there others? I don't mean
> > subspecies of the abve, like different types of Sundews or Pitcher plants. I
> > heard that there is something called the Madagascar Parrot plant which is
> > insectivorous. Does anyone know about this? Where can I get the information.
> > What about the Century plant. Is that carnivorous? Thanks in advance for the
> > information.
>
> I never heard of carniverous Century plant (Agave sp), nor a carniverous
> Parrot Plant; but my not hearing of them doesn't mean much. Several
> epiphytic succulents like the Century Plant may in fact feed on insects
>[snip]

I just remembered something! When I first read about the carnivorous
Parrot Plant, I read it in a science book in 1967 when I was eleven
years old. But I think that it wasn't from Madagascar, but from
Ceylon! Any carnivorous plants there? I saw a picture in this science
book which looked like a wide bird beak sitting on the ground ready to
snap shut on anything that stepped into it. :-) A bit remensicent of
some of the man-eating plants that you might have seen depicted in
various sci-fi, horror, fantasy films. As for the Century Plant, I
recently saw an old black & white move called "The Thing From Another
World", in which one of the characters discussed intelligence in
animals, and said that the Century Plant could trap insects and small
rodents to digest them, but I guess that's not true. :-)

-Patrick-