Carnivorous plants questions.

Andrew Corymbosa at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 23:44:40 EST 2002

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote:

> paghatSPAMMERS-DIE at netscape.net (paghat) wrote in message news:<paghatSPAMMERS-DIE-2608021415010001 at soggy72.drizzle.com>...
> > In article <Wnva9.223$kX5.21887183 at newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, "Patrick
> > D. Rockwell" <hnhc85a at prodigy.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I know about 5 basic kinds of carnivorous plants. Venus fly traps, Pitcher
> > > plants, Sundews, Butterworts, & Bladderworts. Are there others? I don't mean
> > > subspecies of the abve, like different types of Sundews or Pitcher plants. I
> > > heard that there is something called the Madagascar Parrot plant which is
> > > insectivorous. Does anyone know about this? Where can I get the information.
> > > What about the Century plant. Is that carnivorous? Thanks in advance for the
> > > information.
> >
> > I never heard of carniverous Century plant (Agave sp), nor a carniverous
> > Parrot Plant; but my not hearing of them doesn't mean much. Several
> > epiphytic succulents like the Century Plant may in fact feed on insects
> >[snip]
>
> I just remembered something! When I first read about the carnivorous
> Parrot Plant, I read it in a science book in 1967 when I was eleven
> years old. But I think that it wasn't from Madagascar, but from
> Ceylon! Any carnivorous plants there? I saw a picture in this science
> book which looked like a wide bird beak sitting on the ground ready to
> snap shut on anything that stepped into it. :-)

Sounds possibly like the lower pitcher of a Nepenthes.
N.distillatoria is found in Sri Lanka. N.madagascariensis
and N.masoalensis are native to Madagascar. Most other
Nepenthes species are found in South Eastern Asia. FWIW the
lids of Nepenthes do not shut when prey enters the trap.
After opening, the lids only tend to close when humidity is
low.
Andrew