Carnivorous plants questions.

Patrick D. Rockwell prockwell at thegrid.net
Sat Aug 31 01:10:02 EST 2002

useless23nospam at yahoo.com (electric walrus) wrote in message news:<4b4dfa7e.0208290928.6efbab54 at posting.google.com>...
> prockwell at thegrid.net (Patrick D. Rockwell) wrote in message news:<fc427bc9.0208281443.16646886 at posting.google.com>...
> > paghatSPAMMERS-DIE at netscape.net (paghat) wrote in message news:<paghatSPAMMERS-DIE-2608021415010001 at soggy72.drizzle.com>...

> > > I never heard of carniverous Century plant (Agave sp), nor a carniverous
> > > Parrot Plant; but my not hearing of them doesn't mean much. Several
> > > epiphytic succulents like the Century Plant may in fact feed on insects
> > >[snip]
> >
> > I just remembered something! When I first read about the carnivorous
> > Parrot Plant, I read it in a science book in 1967 when I was eleven
> > years old. But I think that it wasn't from Madagascar, but from
> > Ceylon! Any carnivorous plants there? I saw a picture in this science
> > book which looked like a wide bird beak sitting on the ground ready to
> > snap shut on anything that stepped into it. :-) A bit remensicent of
> > some of the man-eating plants that you might have seen depicted in
> > various sci-fi, horror, fantasy films. As for the Century Plant, I
> > recently saw an old black & white move called "The Thing From Another
> > World", in which one of the characters discussed intelligence in
> > animals, and said that the Century Plant could trap insects and small
> > rodents to digest them, but I guess that's not true. :-)
> >
> > -Patrick-
>

> Do you mean the parrot pitcher plant from Florida? Sarracenia psittacina?
> It does not snap shut, no pitcher plants do.
> I think you can find information and a picture in the cp faq at www.sarracenia.com

No, the one that I saw looked different. Of course, it was years ago,
and I think that I only saw it in that one book. At most, I might have
seen it referenced again in another book about carnivorous plants. But
I'm sure that what I saw was from Sri Lanka (or Ceylon as it was
listed in the book), not Florida. :-)