Botanical bad smell problem.

Duncan Adams duncan at hafod.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 04:54:40 EST 2002

Thanks for all the help, people.  We've now found the problem.  It was a
spider plant that was very high up in the conservatory, and which the wife
had been watering with a lance.  She could never actually see the soil.  It
turned out to be completely waterlogged and when I tried to get it down from
the shelf it spilled on me.  Instant un-scheduled bath time.  It's quite
unbelievable the stench it made.

Thanks again for all the input.

Duncan Adams.

"Duncan Adams" <duncan at hafod.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1038501225.25853.0 at iapetus.uk.clara.net...
> Hi experts,
>
> May I bounce a problem off you?  My wife I live in the UK, and we have a
> largish conservatory that is heavily stocked with a wide variety of
plants.
> This conservatory is an important part of our lives - we eat breakfast in
> there in a morning, and I read in there at night.
>
> In the conservatory is a large (and very heavy) ornamental stone fountain.
> We don't use it as a fountain - it makes a superb planter for our cacti
and
> succulents.  In fact, it has 'pride of place'.  By the side of the
fountain
> is a manhole cover, and beneath that is access to our drains.  Naturally,
> the manhole is kept air-tight so that drain smells do not enter the
> conservatory.
>
> Several days ago, I noticed a smell, exactly like drains.  It was
strongest
> in the vicinity of the manhole and the 'fountain' - naturally, I suspected
> the manhole, and I did some work on it to make absolutely sure it was
> airtight.  If it wasn't before (and I believe it was), then it definitely
is
> now.  But the smell persists.  I am completely sure it isn't my drains.
So