Potted Shade Plants

Steve Ripple Loki-dogwoof at attbi.com
Sat Feb 2 14:31:54 EST 2002

I assume you're in Florida?  If your plants are outside, they receive
quite a bit of light even in the shade.  They actually receive much
more light than an indoor plant would through a window.  So almost any
plant that can be grown indoors, even in bright light, can be grown on
your patio.  In fact most of these plants would die outdoors if exposed
to bright direct sunlight (they might survive if acclimated by longer
exposures every day over about a week).

Anyway your possibilities are really endless - too great to list here.
I think most indoor-suitable palms would work, as would ferns.
Diffembachia would be nice, as would most of the larger Philodendrons
and Alocasias.  And the Monsteras are really nice and adaptable.
Begonias, Impatians, and Coleus are nice as color accents.  Many
Bromiliads will do well in outdoor shade too, and should be OK in
Florida's high humidity. Some succulents are fine with outdoor shade
too.  Jade plants, Aloes, Orchid cacti  = Epiphyllums,  Mistletoe cacti
= Rhipsalis', and Snake plants = Sanseverias are really fine choices.

--
Remove woof to email directly