Corn plant - yellow leaves - UPDATE

DTM2001 dtm2001 at rogers.com
Wed Feb 13 23:55:59 EST 2002

Hey everybody,

Thanks for the amazing replies that I've had to my problem (see my earlier
post about a corn plant developing yellow leaves which turn brown and die
off).

Anyway, it's starting to look like something will recover, but so far I's
impossible to say what the problem was.  The water in my area is definitely
not the greatest for plants, I think it might have too much chlorine (not
sure if it's the right substance, but I get white deposits if I leave water
in a glass)...

Anyway the plant I have has three canes growing from a common root, and from
each of the canes there's three 'groups' of leaves growing.

In each group the leaves grow both from inside and from outside....it seems
that on this particular cane (which is the smallest of all and gets the
least light I guess - the bedroom is already somewhat dark - facing North)
the leaves that grew from outside died right from the start, so it was like
each group was 'suffocating' because the leaves were brown already on the
outside.  So the bigger leaves started to turn yellow and fall off...

On this cane I've lost one bunch of leaves, I removed all of the bad ones in
the hope that small ones would start growing, but it just died slowly.  When
I removed the core from the cane itself it looked a bit 'mushy' or even
'rotten'...

The other two groups of leaves have also had some of the leaves turn yellow
and brown, but I've cleared everything from the outside (the dried brown
ones) and now I have small green ones growing on the inside...I hope it
recovers.

Anyway sorry for the long story, I love this plant...:-)...

Thanks for all the help,

/Dan