Dracaena Massangeana

news a at a.com
Sat Feb 16 11:54:36 EST 2002

Greetings, I have a Dracaena Massangeana plant, and I over watered it,
without realizing what type of plant it was. I picked the plant up from the
trash, it looked healthy at the time. I did replant it into a bigger pot.
The pot did have the words "Massangeana Cane" on it, but, could not find
anything through ask.com or any other search engine about Massangeana. Any
ways... today I was looking for Yucca, and came across different types of
Yucca Plants. I was going through all the links and found out through error
that I have the Dracaena Massangeana. Which I also found out is called the
Corn Plant. Now, with all that out ot the way... I have a Dracaena
Massangeana that has 3 stalks. 2 of the stalks are doing fine. I did have to
cut one of the two down due to it feeling not mushy, but soft. This same
stalk started new growth a little above the soil line. I need to find out
what to cap the stalk with. The others have this black substance... no idea
what it is. The largest of the 3 stalks, is soft about 1/2 way down from the
top of the stalk, it still feels solid past the 1/2 way point. I have lost
most of the leaves on this one and there has been no new growth. Now, I know
that this is due to the over watering, but, I have a question about this
particular stalk. Last night I was checking the plant out and found a liquid
oozing out of the stalk... it is making the stalk look like it has dark
splotches, but, when I touched the liquid... it was clear to the touch. I
have a feeling that this is a type of disease. If it is, should I get rid of
the whole plant, or just that stalk?

If anyone can help... I appreciate it a lot... I like this plant... I wish
Ihad known what it was before I over watered it... I jsut want to try to
save was much of the plant as I can.

Thank you.