Help with Calathea plant

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 2 10:35:01 EST 2002

Browning round the edges usually indicates root problems--either you
are overwatering, over-fertilizing and burning the roots, or you have
salt accumulation in the soil caused by not letting the water run
freely when you do water.  Or, perhaps, your tap water is just to
salty; many houseplants are notoriously salt-sensitive, and IIRC,
Calathea is one of them.  Try distilled or deionized water.  Nothing
will revive the leaves already toasted, but you may be able to rescue
the plant.

M. Reed