Botanical missing link identified, says report on plant genealogy

Moll McCarty mollymc at wi.rr.com
Wed Jan 2 17:27:02 EST 2002

Unlike certain others, whom i refuse to mention by name, I ain't dead, yet,
either. I am a Survivor. Of  any number of maladies that afflict many others
as well in this world today. Can you say the same of yourself?

Give me a little bit of time for this entire matter to settle in, OK?

I am, after all, only an infrequent poster/contributor to this newsgroup
witch many of us have dubbed 'Wrecked Gardens'. I am much like Ben Stein, on
his TV Game Show, in my role in this newsgroup. I am a common contestant.

Moll

"Cereoid*" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:Do0Y7.5491$8n3.1393822951 at newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> [...]
> > from our computers.
> > Furthermore, I might add, not to appear off the track of this thread,
that
> > when my Father taught me how to shoot my Mother's 22 Rifle, off the back
> > porch at the age of eight, we aimed for an Oxydol box set about 100
yards
> > out, parked in a back swamp adjoining our lot. He told me 'Moll, Just Go
> for
> > the Os'. that's all I needed to hear, not all this body mechanics stuff
> that
> > my Golfing Buddies are into, in order to nail that box.
> > We sorta practice Oral Traditons around here. I have overheard the word
> > 'Cacti' at our local County Propagation Center where I did a Seasonal
> grunt
> > gig as low man on the totem pole. I know for a fact that the word Croci
is
> > the plural of the word Crocus, I had to look it up as a spelling word as
> > child. Those Nuns can be tough on you! Therefore, by extrapolation,
would
> it
> > not seem to make sense that the plural of Cactus is Cacti, at least as
> > commonly expressed in the State I live in, Wisconsin? Of course, going
> > beyond all regionalisms here, you'd have to use the Proper term in Latin
> > REALLY know what you're saying. And who speaks Latin anymore? Isn't it a
> g*d
> > d*amn dead language? (Papa steered me towards the study of the Spanish
> > Language. He said I'd have a halfway decent chance of using it,
> considering
> > global trends as foreseen, perhaps only by him, in 1968.)
> > I figure, to become a decent Hort, I gotta learn both Spanish & Latin,
> > conversationally. My future Work Crew Members & my Plant Ordering
sources
> > both clearly require this of me.
> > And what sayest Thou to dat?
> >
> > Molly McCarty
> > Secretary
> > Ray McCarty & Sons Construction Co.
> > Kaukauna, WI
> >
> > "Cereoid*" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > news:_4pX7.7858$c_5.1139776618 at newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> > > Sorry Moll, but the plural of cactus is cactus. Same as the Greek word
> > upon
> > > which it is based (Kaktos). Cacti is the old family name used for the
> > plants
> > > by Jussieu which is now correctly Cactaceae. Even though cacti has
long
> > been
> > > used as the plural for cactus, it is grammatically incorrect and
> improper.
> > >
> > > Being listed in the dictionary does not denote proper usage, only the
> > common
> > > usage of words. You will find "ain't" in the dictionary too but that
> does
> > > not make the word grammatically acceptable.
> > >
> > > Beware of "common sense", it is usually wrong.

The