[England south] Browning off of tomato plants.

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Jul 13 09:01:02 EST 2002

In article <agk9na$phh$1 at newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>,
Richard Brooks <richardbrooks at kdbanglia.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Has anyone else had this symptom which I have usually only seen in autumn.
>
>Is it the dreaded blight taking hold in the typical grey summers we seem to
>be getting?

I used to think my tomato plants were getting blight, but then I
realized that the  symptoms also resembled magnesium deficiency.
I started putting some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in a bucket
of water and giving each plant a liter or so every few weeks, and the
results were pretty impressive.  I've read that high levels of calcium
in the soil can make magnesiumn less available, and my garden has a
lot of broken concrete and plaster in it, so that may be one reason
for a Mg deficiency.

I've got no idea whether this is your problem, but it couldn't hurt
to try it.