Century Plant - new growth

skip heevay at att.net
Mon Jul 29 15:11:51 EST 2002

I had a large, beautiful gray-green century plant that went through its
death cycle - sprouted an enormous asparagus-like stalk about 60ft high.
After a while I cut it down on the advice of my neighbor - he said it might
topple on our fence or deck in a high wind and what he said seemed to make
sense.

Now I have the stump about 3 ft high and I notice around the bottom some
very small, a bit weak-looking "babies" are growing.  How to I encourage
them.  Water?  When? Cut down the stump or leave it?
I'm in Oakland Calif. - warm days, 45-55 at night.