Trying to ID thorny vine

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 3 09:18:25 EST 2002

You have a species of _Smilax_, commonly called Greenbriar or
Catbriar.  Despite the broad leaves, it's a monocot. The vines are the
botanical equivalent of barbed wire. These things often grow from
large underground tubers.  If you can get those up, you will have much
less trouble controlling it.  Keep hacking at it, and paint the
severed stems with Roundup.

The very young shoot tips of _Smilax_ are often edilbe and tasty.
Gives you a way to get back at the darned stuff!

M. Reed