unidentified plant in my garden

nullepart driveblind at voila.fr
Fri Jun 14 06:36:43 EST 2002

Hello,

I have a plant in my garden (actually, it is just a glorified plant pot)
which is bearing some fruit and I would like to know what it is. I
planted some herbes and started watering them when I noticed a plant I
had not planted. I thought that it was a cherry tomato plant because the
leaves look a lot like those of a tomato plant.  The only thing is that
the leaves don't smell of anything. The plant is about 3 feet tall and
is growing fast (since about 2 months ago).

The branches are slightly fuzzy and everywhere there are little
groupings of about 6 berry-like fruit. The berries begin as very small
white flowers with a yellow middle, then turn into perfectly round,
little green balls. I was expecting them to become larger and red, but
they haven't grown any bigger than maybe 1 centimeter in diameter.
Yesterday I noticed that one group of berries has turned almost black
(which is what led me to believe that they are berries and not
tomatoes).

I don't know where this plant is from, but I believe it (or at least the
seed) was planted by the former tenants of my apartment. I live in the
south of france.

thanks for any help you can give me.